Thursday, November 13, 2008

He that overcometh

"He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son" - Revelations 21:7

"...To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life" - Revelations 2:7

We often hear the words "overcome" and "endure" when it comes to the principles of gaining eternal life. Why is our journey to return to our Heavenly Father described as an effort of overcoming?

A football team which defeated an inferior opponent by six touchdowns didn't overcome. The underdog, who battled and scratched and held on 4th and goal on the one yard line, they are the ones who overcame.

We don't overcome a pleasant walk through a meadow. But the runner who struggled through four hours of fatigue certainly overcame the marathon.

We overcome trials. We overcome adversity. We overcome pain and fear.

The mission our life is to overcome. Addicts desire to "overcome" their addiction. This is a large and obvious struggle. But life is full of these struggles for all. Adversity comes to the most meek and humble. Trials are all around us. It is the person who overcomes all who gains eternal life.

These trials can often seem overwhelming. Personally, I am aware of the consuming fear of addiction, the fear that this weakness simply is out of my power to overcome. It is then that I try to remember Deuteronomy 20:3-4.

"..let not your hearts faint, fear not, and do not tremble, neither be ye terrified because of them; For the Lord your God is he that goeth with you, to fight for you against your enemies, to save you"

It is through the Lord that I can bravely face the trials of my life. Through the Lord that I can defeat my enemies of addiction and pride. Through the Lord that I can overcome.

No comments: