Monday, December 22, 2008

Friends



I thought I would share the value of friends to the gospel change process. Certainly the support and help we need the most comes from our Savior. He will guide me and he will guide you with any righteous change we would like to make.

With that said, it is hard to underestimate the value of a good friend when trying to make difficult change. Whether that change be an effort to reach out more in service, or overcoming addiction, that one true friend can lift us up at times when we don't feel we can go on.

I know in some of my darkest times of addiction there was one friend in particular who spent the time to talk to both me and my wife. He didn't judge (although he did offer to kick my butt if it would help...), he listened, he comforted, he expressed confidence and love. I am grateful for this good friend.

Perhaps the flip side for me is, who can I be THAT friend for. Who can I lift up or encourage at a time when they need it the most. Am I too busy wrapped in my own changes and struggles to recognize it and lend a helping hand?

Maybe this is part of change too. Going outside myself to be a friend to another in need. It's hard to worry about my problems when I am spending my time helping another.

I thank my Heavenly Father for good friends. And I ask him to help me be the kind of friend who is there for one in need.

1 comment:

Papa D said...

"although he did offer to kick my butt if it would help"

That is a true friend.

Great post. Thanks.