Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Exercise

I don't handle stress well.

Maybe you are saying "Yeah, neither do I".  But I really REALLY don't handle stress well.

As in, when things turn stressful I often turn to images and chats that go completely against everything I believe. These actions have nearly destroyed my life. For 26 years I have medicated my stress to a point of numbness with sexual imagery.

So as part of recovery I have had to learn basic stress coping skills. One of the most effective that I have found is exercise.

Because I get our kids ready for school in the morning, I have to get up at 5:00 AM if I want to exercise.  This fact has held me back for a long time, even though I know how much I benefit mentally when I exercise regularly. 

Rather than use this as an excuse, I have decided that this year I need to make it happen. Ever since the first of the year I have got up 5 days a week, including Saturday, to exercise.  And you know what?  It works. I feel more fresh mentally. I feel better able to cope with stress. I feel healthier and happier.

Exercise doesn't solve all my problems, but right now it is a key to the mental stability I need to deal with all of the difficulties my actions have caused.

No comments: